Friday, May 27, 2016

40 Days of Purpose, 13 years later.

So, a few days ago, a mother was on facebook, bragging upside down sideways and backwards about the amazing accomplishment her child had done.

I've been on facebook, bragging, as have most of my friends.

That's our job.   We do that.   We are proud of them, we live vicariously through our kids and we are stinking proud when they do above and beyond what we did.

So a few days ago, a parent came up to me and complimented me on Ben's work for Autism Awareness.  She had read the article in the paper, and wow, what a great kid.   I thanked her.  She then said something that had me stepping back....her comment was that my kid had far to go, and her son couldn't get his face out of the computer fast long enough to clean his room, let alone change the world.  At the rate he's going, she said, he is taking the fast track to being a bum.  

What was worse is that her son was standing right next to her.  He looked upset, and lowered his head.  

"Huh."  I said, in my sugar sweet tone that warns my kids they better run.  "They said the same stuff about Albert Einstein.  That he wasn't going to amount to anything.  And he's the most famous mathematician in the world."  I then smiled at the kid who was now looking at me.  "I guess you got a great future, can't wait to see what you do to light this world on fire."

Then looking at the now very annoyed mother, i said "God don't make no junk.  Have a great day."

I don't think I'll be on her Christmas card list this year.

Yesterday, i had to run to OCHS, and saw the kid.   I have no clue what his name is, but from across the parking lot, i got "Hi Mrs. Corner!  Have a great day!"

I will never understand why a parent feels it is okay to put down their kid, not only in private, but it's worse when it's in front of others.   Our kids get emotionally beaten up all the time.  From classmates, teachers, "friends" who aren't really friends, strangers, tv, magazines.  

They are never good enough, they are never thin enough, they are never smart enough, they didn't do everything right, there's always someone better that they compare themselves to.

That incident served as a very strong reminder to me of what I believe God wants from me.   Years ago, I did the 40 days of purpose.   Over and over again, i knew God wanted me to fight the good fight for kids.   To help them feel good about themselves, give them a sense of pride in their accomplishments.

At that time, i was the director of Higher Power and i loved watching kids grin like crazy when they did something and were proud and their team mates were cheering them on.

I have to admit, i have't thought that much about it in the past year or two.   I pray i never put a child down, but it wasn't a priority to lift them up.

But that woman reminded me, He didn't tell me to stop.   He needs me and everyone, to make our kids feel valuable, to let them know that life ain't all bad, and there's someone in their corner.

And it isn't all that hard.

When you go to a concert, and you see a mother drop her kid off at his last band concert of the year and hear her yell "Call me when its over."  It really easy to go up to him when the concert is over and he's waiting for his ride, to go up to him and say "Knock out job, you looked like you were having fun up there.  See ya in marching band."

When you see a kid alone, everyone else is standing around and ignoring them, to go up and say "Oh my gosh, is your hair naturally that curly?  I am so jealous.  I'm *******, what's your name?"

When you know a kid is having a rough time, say something nice on facebook about a picture they posted, or a comment or a selfie...something.

That mother served as a reminder that HE needs us to let His children know they aren't alone.  That just because some one puts them down, there is someone around who is going to lift them up.  

I remember feeling worthless, unloved, alone, picked up, bullied and emotionally destroyed.   And i am going to do my best to prevent others from feeling that way.

Who's in with me?

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment