Friday, January 20, 2017

a chance

And so, we now have a new president, our 45th president, who was voted in, whether fairly or not.   For the next four years, if he fails, democrats will remind us that he didn't win the popular vote.  If he succeeds, the republicans will insist he was voted in fair and square.

I've never told anyone who i voted for, and i won't.  It's no ones business.   If you want to tell me who you voted for...okay, but don't expect me to respond in kind.

Do i like Trump?   Can't say i do.  There were other republicans i liked more. 

However, i'm going to give him a chance.

A fair chance.

Like i was given.

When i was in 10th grade...my life was...upside down.  My mother and stepfather were divorcing, it was messy, it was violent and it was devastating.   There were secrets, and i started failing school.  I'll never forget when i was sent to a principals office for something or other, and she stood over me, glaring at me, and told me i was never going to amount to much, i was going to be a drunk, nothing but trailer trash.  

I was at my lowest point.

But i wrote a story...it was dark, it involved death (all my stories did around that time) and it got attention.   A friend of the family called me, i'll never forget that, he called me to compliment me on the article.   And 2 teachers reached out to me.  Both were involved with writing.  One was in charge of the school newspaper, and one had a writing class.   Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Hollman gave me a chance to show a different side of me.   Mr. Kennedy put me on the Clipper staff, Mr. Hollman challenged me to take a class and write stories.  

They both challenged me to show the world a different side of me and prove myself.    To prove i was more than trailer trash.   I told Mr. Kennedy what i had been told...and his response was simple "Don't ever let anyone tell you what you are, show them what you can be."   

I'm not a drunk, i'm not trailer trash (oh btw, one thing i learned living in Florida, jeepers some of those trailers are nicer than most homes), i'm a great mother, a pretty dang good wife and i like who i became.

I was given a chance.

So, i'm going to give Trump a chance.  He may screw up.   He may succeed.  He may do a bit of both.  Let's see. 

Obama screwed up, he succeeded, he did a bit of both.

Bush screwed up, he succeeded, he did a bit of both.

Clinton screwed up, he succeeded, he did a bit of both.

Bush screwed up, he succeeded, he did a bit of both.

Reagan screwed up, he succeeded he did a bit of both.

The list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment